I've decided what this blog will be about...

I've finally made a decision on what I want this blog to be about. I already have a blog that covers my educational and entertainment interests on Tumblr, so I decided that this blog will cover my travel interests. Growing up, my family traveled quite often. Every other year to be exact. So, that pretty much meant that at the end of every (or every other) school year, we moved to a new city, new state or even a new country.

When people ask me whether I was a military brat and I say "no", they always look so confused by my answer. Then, the next question is "So how come you moved around so much?" And I usually launch into the following story:

Hong Kong
I was born in the Philippines around the capital city of Manila on the island of Luzon. My biological father had died when I was barely a year old and to earn money, my mother took on a job in Hong Kong as a "companion" for an elder Chinese woman. And there, my mother met my stepfather who was assigned to a job there. My stepfather was a civil engineer and apparently was VERY good at what he did. He worked for a pretty big company that sent him all over the world.

When I say all over the world, I literally mean all over the world. He did meet my mother in Hong Kong and my stepsisters had lived a few years in Europe. They even did the whole skiing in the Swiss Alps and everything. I'm a bit jealous of that, but then at the same time, not so much. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a very big fan of snow and below zero weather. But, back to the story about my mother and how my stepfather courted her (according to my mother anyway).

From what my mother has repeatedly told me, my stepfather was friends with one of her friends. I know. It's one of those, friend of a friend deals, but it worked out for the both of them. From what my mother tells me, she liked him mainly because he was willing to take on my elder brother, my two sisters and I as part of the package. She had apparently had many offers in the past, but none of the previous men were willing to take on four children as well. I mean, they offered to send us off to boarding school and what not, but my mother wasn't going for it. My stepfather came along and agreed to it, because it was the only way that he was going to get her to agree to marry him. When you think about it, it's kind of sweet. Not many men out there who are willing to take on "baggage".

Manila, Philippines

My siblings and I lived with different relatives for a while. I was living in the city of Bulacan with my aunt and I specifically recall my aunt bribing me with the ability to go to the airport to pick up my mother when she arrived if I took my nap like I was supposed to. I never was a napper. I hated taking naps then and I hate taking naps now. I don't know why but I do. Bits and pieces of my time in the Philippines come and go, but I was quite young that I really can't remember it well. 

So to start off this blog, I have chosen two cities: Hong Kong, China and Manila, Philippines. I chose Hong Kong mainly because as you can see in the photo above, this is a city where the ancient meets the modern. I have never been to Hong Kong personally but if my mother had never gone to this city, my journey would never have begun. My second city of choice is Manila, because it is where my life began, in the outlying sections of Manila I was born and from there I have moved on. 

And thus, starts my blog on my travel interests. Until next time. 


Comments

Popular Posts